Monday 24 November 2008

ArtParis-Abu Dhabi and the Jazz Festival

Friday was a culture day.

It was the last day of the ArtParis Abu Dhabi art fair, 57 galleries from 22 countries represented at the Emirates Palace. It was a lot of art. Probably better to spend a couple of days wondering around but I was determined to see it so we did it in one go.

It was quite a thrill to see the work of some artists well represented that I'd only seen glimpses of in the flesh, or hadn't seen in the flesh at all! Keith Haring, including his BMW, and Warhol stand out for me as the highlights of the day but I was very impressed at the number of Middle Eastern artists that were displayed. Not all of it was good (and frankly, I'm no one to judge what is "good" art) and there was a lot based around Arabic caligraphy, some bad and some wonderful.

All in all it was a nice day and I particularly enjoyed a walk around the Emirates Palace garden where they had installed a sculpture exhibition, turning it into a monumental garden. There was a band playing softly as we strolled around in the fading sun.





After the art fair we hot-footed it over to the Beach Rotana for the annual Abu Dhabi Jazz Festival. It's held every year (this was the fifth I think) around this time, when the weather gets better anyway.

Now I'm not the world's biggest jazz fan (slight understatement) so I wasn't counting the minutes until it began, but it was actually really rather lovely. Bit overpriced to get in, and the food and beverages were similarly overpriced (and on that silly voucher system, why do they do this?!) but all in all it was worth it. Sitting outside on a nice warm evening with good friends and new friends listening and chatting is a wonderful way to spend some time.

Highlight for me would have to be Natalie Williams - so much so that I think I may investigate buying her album. Fantastic voice and a lovely energy and spirit on stage. Also pretty good were Colour of Rhythm. The evening ended with a less than average rock band and by the time they were half way through their set most of the crowd had departed. Possibly a smart move what with needed to get cabs, etc.

But a good cultural day in all!

No comments: