Tuesday 26 January 2010

When The Killers came to Abu Dhabi

I can’t believe I haven’t written about this already! I would blame my Christmas brain but… yeah.


In December a terribly exciting thing happened – The Killers performed in Abu Dhabi… and the tickets were affordable!!!!! WHOOP!

Lots of performers play here, of lots of different varieties. Since I’ve lived here we’ve had (off the top of my head) Christina Aguilera, George Michael + Alicia Keys, Andrea Bocelli, Beyonce, Kings of Leon, Aerosmith and on New Year’s Eve it was the turn of Rhianna.

Not a lot of those interest me, and those that do (Kings of Leon and Aerosmith) I wouldn’t have been able to afford the price of the tickets since both played after a Formula 1 day, which meant that you had to buy an F1 ticket to be able to see the show. Cheeky, I know.

So it’s always a treat when a less-mainstream (for the UAE) band comes to town and tickets are both available and at a decent price.

The venue was the Emirates Palace (a monument to gold leaf and marble of all the colours of Starbucks – apart from green) and I had no idea what to expect having never been there. Imagine my delight when I found that the stage is in the open air giving a decidedly festival vibe in one of the blingingest of cities.

The weather was wonderful for December, nice and warm, the set was fab but short and half way through the gig a shooting star passed right above the stage!

A top night and one I hope I get to repeat soon.

No comments: