Monday 15 November 2010

Updates updates updates...

So many updates to make!


Ok, well, the dress I bought turned out to be a major disappointment (it was practically see-through) so it was sent back – no huge surprise there really, how much can you really tell from an online picture? However the good news is that the people at Net-a-Porter are beyond helpful and really quite lovely, and I was able to get the vast majority of my money back – so no harm done.


I finished my Arabic Level 1 and passed with 96%, which is – I think you’ll agree – awesome! I want to start level 2 but it’s a bit tricky right now what with timings and making sure I get the same teacher as for Level 1, but I’m hoping to start again soon.


Lots of progress has been made on The Grand Affair. We have a venue for the deed and for the party afterwards, both of which are rather swish and rather gorgeous – even if I do say so myself. Venue for the party will cover food and drinks (fab!) and I’ve pretty much sorted the transportation. I’ve picked a dress and will have the first proper fitting for that in May, but I still need to find shoes and accessories. The most pressing issue right now is the entertainment… But that’s quite enough of all that stuff.


The other fun news is that I have a new job! It’s not really all that new I suppose, since I’ve been here nearly two months, but I always consider myself new until I’ve passed my three month probation period. Anyway… I have finally found my way into publishing!


I now work for a weekly Abu Dhabi magazine. It’s a lot of fun – hands down the best job I’ve had so far – but is a lot of hard work too. On the days the magazine is sent to the printers we are often at the office quite late, for various reasons, which can be tiring and frustrating. But it is ultimately very rewarding when the issue comes in to the office and we can get a proper look at how the finished article turned out.

Central to my job are the different events that are taking place all over the city, which means that I now know what is going on all over the city! Unfortunately, O and I are either so busy at work or so tired from work that we don’t get the chance to do much of it!


My office is no longer walking distance from the flat – sadly. This means that I am currently taking two taxi trips a day, each one taking between half an hour and 40mins. It is time for me to get a car. I was perfectly happy without one when I only had to take cabs occasionally – but I have now reached saturation point. It’s not so much that they are difficult to get hold of, in fact it is now easier than ever to get a cab, it is the constantly having to have enough cash to cover the journey (plus tip), having the same conversations over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, feeling obliged to talk when I’m fed up/tired and being stuck in traffic when I can’t just blast out a bit of Lady Gaga to help me through. Don’t judge me!


So I need to get a car, and I imagine that this will open up a whole world of fun and frolics hitherto undiscovered out in the land of sand. I shall endeavour to keep you posted, as much as I am able and I will most certainly try to be a much better blogger.

1 comment:

Cover Girl said...

At last - an update!

Might a suggest an ipod for the cab journey? Or take a newspaper and pointedly open it. You don't have to actually read it!