Wednesday 22 October 2008

In the beginning...


First blog. First post in first blog. Second night in Abu Dhabi as a "resident" rather than a tourist/house hunter.

We arrived last night and we are staying in the rather swish Shangri La which has only one downside: the cabs don't want to bring us back here because it is so far out of town. I should explain that everywhere in Abu Dhabi is no more than a ten minute drive away. The Shangri La is fifteen minutes. Yes, my eyes are rolling around and around in my little head.

We ate in the Vietnamese resturant in the hotel last night, it was pretty disappointing to say the least - O had freshwater prawns which I thought tasted pretty nice but he wasn't happy, I had quail and it was cooked well but completely smothered in allspice. The vegetables and black rice were delicious though!

Room service tonight was terrible.

Anyway! I can report that Ikea is tiring in any language and that I am cursed when it comes to Ikea sofas, lifting them causes injury - of the annoying rather than debilitating variety. I am currently two for two and will not be testing the theory any further.

Priorities at this juncture are getting a car so there are no more death-defying cab rides, various bits of furniture so we can sit and sleep in the flat and visas all round. Woohoo! This living abroad stuff is fuuunnnn.

That being said, my flip-flops are well and truly cemented to my feet, my sunglasses are permanently attached to my head my jumpers are safely in storage so if it sounds like I'm complaining know that I've got a great big smile on my face.

A.

No comments: